Hyundai A-League wrap 2009/10 - Round 1

The 2009/10 Hyundai A-League season kicked off on the weekend with five of the ten teams recording victories.

The 2009/10 Hyundai A-League season kicked off on the weekend with five of the ten teams recording victories.

Overall, 17 goals were scored in the five matches and no matches ended in a draw which made matches entertaining for the fans.

It all begun on Thursday night with the 2008/09 champions Melbourne Victory going down to a hard-working and determined Central Coast Mariners outfit.

Matt Simon netted the first goal of the new season from close range before new recruit Michael McGlinchey doubled the lead for the Mariners.

It was the perfect start for Lawrie McKinna’s men with critics around the country expecting a completely different result.

Melbourne Victory: 0
Central Coast Mariners: 2 (Matt SIMON 10’, Michael MCGLINCHEY 15’)
Thursday, 6 August 2009
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
Local kick-off 8.00pm
Referee: Matthew Breeze
Assistant referees: Hakan Anaz, Shaun Evans
Fourth official: Kevin Docherty
Crowd: 18,855
Yellow cards: Melb - Evan BERGER 40’, Nick WARD 90’ +3
CCM - Nigel BOOGAARD 17’, Alex WILKINSON 39’, Brad PORTER 63’, John HUTCHINSON 67’, Michael McGLINCHEY 78’, Nicky TRAVIS 90’

On Friday night in Adelaide, home side Adelaide United managed to overcome a new-look Perth Glory.

A 31st minute Travis Dodd penalty separated the two teams giving Aurelio Vidmar’s men a handy three points in a contest that could have gone either way.

Dave Mitchell’s new team will surely improve further with more games under their belt together.

Adelaide United: 1 (Travis DODD 31’ (pen))
Perth Glory: 0
Friday, 7 August 2009
Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide
Local Kick-off 7.30pm
Referee: Craig Zetter
Assistant referees: Matthew Cream, Daniel Goodwin
Fourth official: Regis Queffelec
Crowd: 13,847
Yellow cards: Adel - CASSIO 65’, Travis DODD 83’
Per - Tando VELAPHI 29’, Jacob BURNS 29’, Victor SIKORA 83’

One of the new A-League franchise’s, North Queensland Fury, kicked off their inaugural season with an unlucky 3-2 loss to Sydney FC at Dairy Farmers Stadium in Saturday evening.

The Sky Blues went ahead early through John Aloisi before young gun Kofi Danning doubled the advantage prior to the half-hour mark.

Just before half-time, Rostyn Griffiths scored a landmark goal for the Fury to give the new team some hope and when marquee signing Robbie Fowler levelled with a spot-kick in the 60th minute it looked like the match could go either way.

But Aloisi came to the rescue with a penalty of his own 17 minutes from time to give Sydney FC all three points.

North Queensland Fury: 2 (Rostyn GRIFFITHS 41’, Robbie FOWLER 60’ (pen))
Sydney FC: 3 (John ALOISI 4’, 73’ (pen), Kofi DANNING 28’)
Saturday, 8 August 2009
Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville
Local kick-off 5.30pm
Referee: Stebre Delovski
Assistant referee: Jason Power, Graham Buzzi
Fourth official: Matthew Gillett
Crowd: 8,897
Yellow cards: NQF - nil
Syd - nil

Then it was the other brand new franchise, Gold Coast United, to make their debut on the pitch.

It was a different outcome for the star-studded United, who managed a superb 3-1 win over last year’s preliminary finalist Brisbane Roar.

It was fitting that last season’s A-League Player of the Year and Golden Boot winner Shane Smeltz scored Gold Coast’s first ever goal before Socceroos star Jason Culina added a second just after half-time.

Roar striker Sergio van Dijk was able to provide a consolation goal from the spot for Frank Farina’s men in injury time but it was to no avail as Brazilian import Milson netted a third for United.

Brisbane Roar: 1 (Sergio VAN DIJK 90’ +1 (pen))
Gold Coast United: 3 (Shane SMELTZ 18’, Jason CULINA 58’, MILSON 90’ +3)
Saturday, 8 August 2009
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Local kick-off 7.30pm
Referee: Peter Green
Assistant referee: Brad Hobson, David Walsh
Fourth official: Alan Milliner
Crowd: 19,902
Yellow cards: Bris - Mitch NICHOLS 4’, Robbie KRUSE 26’, Danny TIATTO 41’, Craig MOORE 45’ +1, Charlie MILLER 61’
GCU - ROBSON 63’, Steve PANTELIDIS 66’, Shane SMELTZ 81’, Jason CULINA 84’, Scott HIGGINS 90’

And in the final game of the round, Newcastle Jets let a two-goal lead against Wellington Phoenix slip before netting a late winner to complete a clean sweep of winning matches for the weekend.

20-year old striker Jason Hoffman got the Jets off to the perfect start with two goals in the first 20 minutes before the Phoenix hit back through Ben Sigmund and English recruit Chris Greenacre prior to half-time.

The match was headed for a draw until Jets substitutes Sean Rooney and Jason Naidovski combined for an 84th minute winner to give Branko Culina a 100% strike rate as Newcastle coach.

Newcastle Jets: 3 (Jason HOFFMAN 12’, 20’, Jason NAIDOVSKI 84’)
Wellington Phoenix: 2 (Ben SIGMUND 26’, Chris GREENACRE 43’)
Sunday, 9 August 2009
EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle
Local kick-off 3.00pm
Referee: Chris Beath
Assistant referee: Rodney Allen, Ryan Gallagher
Fourth official: Kurt Ams
Crowd: 6,655
Yellow cards: New - Adam D’APUZZO 20’, Ljubo MILICEVIC 73’
Well - Jon McKAIN 48’, Tony LOCHHEAD 59’

Have your say